HISTORY OF THE TOWNSHIP OF TERRACE BAY
Terrace Bay is originally named after the sand and gravel terraces which were left behind when ice glaciers receded about 20,000 years ago. The area is surrounded by the rugged Northern Ontario wilderness and the forest is the reason for Terrace Bay's existence.
The Township of Terrace Bay was originally called Black Siding due to the nature of the material extracted from a CPR ballast put for track construction maintenance. Terrace Bay originated as an undeveloped area catering to the needs of the forestry industry. The decision to develop the town was first conceived in the early 1940's by the Longlac Pulp and Paper Company which changed its name to Kimberly Clark Pulp and Paper Company in 1958. This action was taken in conjuction with the Ontario Hydro water division, completed in 1939, to redirect the northward flowing Long Lake south through the Aguasabon River system to Lake Superior. Work on the south regulating dam was also completed in 1939.
On September 1, 1947 Terrace Bay was granted status as an Improvement District. By the end of 1948, Terrace Bay consisted of about 230 houses serviced with sewer, water and electricity but surrounded only by bush. The roads were rough and ungraded. The highway was still not completed through the town. The residents of the town went to the south camp for medical attention, church, mail and banking.
In 1951, the Lakeview subdivision was started, with sewer, water and electrical services provided for well over 100 houses. By December 31st, 33 of the 35 new houses were completed and occupied. Other additions to the community were two new churches, 22 bed modern hospital, post office, bank, liquor store, theatre, clothing store and railway station. Construction of the Memorial Recreation Centre was completed in July 1953. The building consisted of an arena, curling club, restaurant, bowling alley, library, offices, 3 meeting rooms and public washrooms. In 1958, the mill converted to chlorine-dioxide bleaching and had sold 63 houses to employees and another 28 houses were privately built.
On July 1, 1959 Terrace Bay, the Improvement District officially became a municipality. The citizens of Terrace Bay also took part in their first municipal election in 1959. They elected John Ferrier, who had been Chairman of the Improvement District, as Terrace Bay's first reeve.
In 1972, the Kimberly Clark Pulp and Paper Company Ltd. and Kimberly Clark of Canada Ltd. amalagamated. From 1972 to 1977 the population of Terrace Bay increased from 1,755 to 2,299 persons, directly attributed to Kimberly Clark's expansion program. The pulp mill has been the lifeblood of the region and in 2005 Kimberly-Clark sold the mill to Neenah Paper Inc who then sold the mill to Buchanan Forestry Products in 2006 and the mill was renamed to Terrace Bay Pulp Inc.
Terrace Bay Historical Video
Two Terrace Bay Historical Video's found on the web shows the construction of the Aguasabon Falls Dam, local Pulp Mill and of Simcoe Plaza in 1949. To view the videos, please click here for video 1 and click here for video 2.